IASLC Global Mentorship Award
The deadline to apply for the IASLC Global Mentorship Award has now passed.
Due to the overwhelming interest we are unfortunately not able to accept further applications.
Applicants will be notified by August 30, 2013.
Not all learning objectives are linked to a class, conference or workshop.
In recognition of the contribution of junior Investigators from Developing Nations, the WCLC 2013 Local Organizing Committee along with the IASLC Career Development Committee is pleased to offer a small number of scholarships to support a 1-week visit to leading lung cancer care providers in Australia following the WCLC 2013 Conference.
The award is offered to an individual from an economically developing nation (as defined by the IASLC Membership Committee) who is early in their career and has had an abstract accepted for presentation at the WCLC. The individual should be within 5 years of their first academic appointment and at the instructor or Assistant Professor level (or local equivalent). A letter of recommendation from their Division/Department Chair is required. The award will be decided by the WCLC organizing committee and approved by the Board of Directors.
The scholarship will provide a unique opportunity to visit a leading hospital and health facility in Australia (eg Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne, Perth) to observe and learn first-hand how other systems, hospitals as well as cancer care and treatment programs are working in Australia. It is also an excellent opportunity for the scholar to exchange information and set up a network with researchers and physicians in Australia attempting to help the scholar’s research both now and in the future.
Application guidelines and deadlines are outlined below:
Program (subject to change and might differ for each location):
Thursday, October 31
- Morning: Depart from Sydney to destination
- Afternoon: Meeting with local representative
Friday, November 1
- Full day hospital visit
Saturday, November 2
- Free day or hospital visit
Sunday, November 3
- Free day
Monday, November 4
- Full day hospital visit
Tuesday, November 5
- Return flight to Sydney
- Curriculum Vitae
- 1 page document outlining research interest
- Indication which hospital/location they would like to visit
- Letter of recommendation from Department Chair or Supervisor
- Within 5 years of their first academic appointment and at the instructor or Assistant Professor level (or local equivalent)
- Investigator from Developing Nation (as per IASLC Definition)
- First and presenting author of abstract accepted for presentation at WCLC 2013
- Application via email to email@example.com along with required application materials to be submitted by
June 21, 2013extended to June 24, 2013 (17:00 PST)
- Selected Award Winners will be notified by August 30, 2013
- Economy Return Ticket from Sydney to location (if applicable)
- 3 or 4 nights accommodation (depending on program)
- Cover costs for meals and ground transportation (max. 100 AUD/day)
For any questions or inquiries regarding the IASLC Global Mentorship Award, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.